DERA BUGTI: Who will benefit from the massive new gas reserves said to have been discovered here, bigger at least 10 times than the original Sui deposits, now that the new Nawab Aali Bugti has left his ancestral lands and the rest of the family is fighting over the legacy of Nawab Akbar Bugti.
Obviously the political and material vacuum left by his death in Dera Bugti is being filled by others. People that the old Nawab would have called as his enemies.
The biggest news is that if things go well we might not need natural gas from Iran and Turkmenistan. Drilling is already on at Zin (Toba) which promises to offer reserves 10 times more than of Sui; another survey in Zamurdan close to Rhojan in Rajanpur is complete and 80 percent survey has also been conducted in Kanchas (Cup) close to DG Khan border.
The Chinese are also conducting a 3D seismic survey for exploration in Sui for deeper reserves. This means new vistas opening for not just Dera Bugti but also for Baloc..... Read More
DERA BUGTI: Nawab Akbari Bugti was perhaps the last of the old-style Baloch Sardars who maintained a near totalitarian control over Dera Bugti for over half a century.
He ensured that he got a ‘fair’ share from the discovery of natural gas from his native Sui in the 1950s. He used the money and resources that he got from Pakistan Petroleum Limited (PPL), which runs Sui gas field, to create what a Baloch Sardar termed as “Shaddad’s heavens.”
The money he got was pittance in comparison to the billions of dollars that the PPL had been making or the benefits that the rest of Pakistan, particularly Punjab, was drawing out of Sui’s gas. It suited the Sui management and the Pakistani establishment to pay a paltry sum to a local Nawab than to appease the entire Balochistan that was the last to use its own gas. In return the Nawab expected to be given a complete say in controlling his area.
The Nawab devised a system where the PPL, the local Bugtis, the security..... Read More
by Mumtaz Alvi in the News, Nov 11
ISLAMABAD: An embarrassing situation has emerged, as in total disregard to Interior Minister Rehman Malik’s orders, not a single police officer from the Punjab or Khyber Pakhtunkhwa has reported to the Balochistan Police for maintenance of law and order in the uneasy province.
Interior Ministry sources confirmed to The News here on Thursday that the orders for posting of as many as 25 senior police officers in the province were issued on September 20 by the Establishment Division. However, so far, no one has complied with these orders.
Sources in the provincial police department said that they were very happy and satisfied that orders for these officers were issued but they were still waiting for their arrival. They explained out of 25 officers, a total of 13 Grade-19 officers (SSPs) and 11 SPs in Grade-18 were supposed to join the provincial department. However, owing to unknown reasons, not a single officer had reported to his ..... Read More
ISLAMABAD: The Supreme Court (SC) Monday issued a contempt of court notice to a foreign company — Tethyan Copper Company (Pvt) Ltd (TCC) — for launching an advertisement campaign in the print media regarding Reko Diq despite the fact that the matter was sub judice.
A three-member bench of the apex court, headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chadhry, was hearing the petitions filed against leasing of Reko Diq gold and copper mines in Balochistan worth over $260 billion to foreign exploration companies by the Federal Government in violation of law.
Barrister Zafarullah Khan of Wattan Party had filed a contempt petition under Article 204 of the Constitution against the Tethyan Copper Company (Pvt) Ltd (TCC), praying to the court to issue contempt of court notice to the company for running advertisement campaign in the print media despite the fact that the matter was sub judice.
The apex court while issuing contempt of court notice to the company directed it t..... Read More
QUETTA: Chairman of the Ansar Burney Trust International and former Federal Minister for Human Rights, Ansar Burney, has said that hundreds of Punjabi speaking, Shia families and more than hundred Hindu families of Balochistan province were making efforts to migrate to some safe place in other provinces after becoming the target of extremist and fundamentalist groups, who kidnap them for ransom or brutally murdered them, says a press release on Monday.
Five Hindu families have already migrated from Balochistan’s Mastung district to India and six more families are trying to seek asylum elsewhere. He said thousands of Punjabi and Shia families have already left Balochistan after being targeted, brutally murdered or kidnapped for ransom. “They cannot go out for their jobs or business or their children cannot go out for education even they cannot travel with their family members and are living in jail,” Ansar Burney added.
These revelations were made by Ansar Burney, wh..... Read More
QUETTA: A complete shutter down and wheel jam strike was observed in major parts of Balochistan on Thursday, paralysing the business and trade activities.
The strike call was given by the Baloch National Front (BNF), the Balochistan National Party and the Baloch Students Organisation-Azad to condemn the killing of five Baloch people, including two sons of a BNP leader.
The strike was observed in Awaran, Turbat, Panjgur, Jaffarabad, Khuzdar, Naushki, Kharan, Gwadar, Mand, Tump, Mastung, Kalat, Mashkey, Hub, Pasni, Lasbela, Dalbandin, Chagai, Naseerabad, and other townships where business and trading activities remained standstill. However, no untoward incident took place.
Streets and road wore a deserted look with a very thin traffic. Educational institutions remained closed in the Baloch dominant townships and attendance in the government offices was also very thin. Situation in Turbat remained tense where people confined themselves to their homes.
Stringent..... Read More
Karachi: The government was open to talk with all parties in Balochistan to bring about peace to the province, but will not engage with those who “desecrated” the Pakistani flag, said Interior Minister Rehman Malik on Thursday while talking to media personnel upon his arrival to the city.
“Let us go to Quetta, Turbat or Mand; we are ready for negotiations to meet their genuine demands,” he said.
Malik said that the present government was enjoying a healthy relationship with coalition partner, the MQM, and that the government has vowed to crack down on terrorists “come what may.”
To a question about the disclosures made by website WikiLeaks, he said that these reports were mere leaks and have no authenticity.http://www.thenews.com.pk/03-12-2010/Karachi/18441.htm..... Read More